[openbeos] Re: Automatic hardware installation / system updates

  • From: mik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 09:43:45 +0200

Hi,

> This really belongs on the GE list. :-)

because I'm only on this list, I'll respond here ;)

> > THE IDEA..
> >
> > - I would love.. that whenever I lack drivers on my local computer.. and I
> > got an internet connection.. it could just look there for drivers, and
> > ask me
> > to select/download/install potentially working drivers (selecting from
> > user
> > reported success ofcourse) .. as fully automatic BUT user
> > configureable/selectable (if wanted) as possible.
>
> This is possible, assuming that some site wants to maintain this. It would
> basically be a simple web service. In Python, I think that this would be
> pretty
> simple. With the lack of web service libraries in BeOS, I think that it
> would
> be a little tougher.

I uttered a similar idea one or two years ago to Scott Mc of BeDrivers.com,
he then said they were thinking of implementing this idea for BeDrivers. We
discuss it further, probably because of lack of time, but if you're going to
pursue this idea, I suggest you contact the guys of BeDrivers!

I think we really need something like this: right now, I can't suggest trying
BeOS to regular users because of all the patches, drivers and other geeky
things you have to do to get R5 running properly...automatic driver lookup
would improve BeOS/Haiku a lot for plain users!

> > 2. I can create the server counterpart for this system, since I handle
> > client-server and database stuff everyday at work... does anyone want to
> > help
> > out to create the client application(s)?
>
> The client should be pretty easy, for what can be done... AFAIK, there is no
> way to find out what driver is using what device and what device is using
> what
> driver. You could *assume* that the driver in the server side DB should at
> least be offered, but there is no way to report the data back at this time,
> again, AFAIK.

What about appending attributes to each driver, for example PCI and Vendor
ID...that could at least solve this problem...right?

regards,

Tim