[openbeos] Re: Asus eeePC

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 15:58:14 +0200

Fredrik Modéen wrote (2007-10-01, 12:37:07 [+0200]):
> Hi
> Any one thinking of getting a eeePC? I am :)
>
> So how would one get Haiku or other BeOS version on this baby?
> http://event.asus.com/eeepc/en/701.htm
> http://www.eeeuser.com/
>
> How well would Haiku run on this?
> Model Eee PC 701
> Display 7"
> CPU & Chipset Intel Mobile CPU & chipset
> Communication 10/100 Mbps Ethernet
> WLAN WiFi 802.11b/g
> Memory 512MB, DDR2
> Storage 4GB S.S.D. (Solid-State Disk)
> Web-Cam 0.3 Mega Pixel Video camera
> Audio Hi-Definition audio CODEC, Built-in stereo speaker, Built-in
> microphone Battery Life 3 hrs (4 cells)
> Dimension & Weight 22.5 x 16.4 x  2.15~3.5 cm, <1 kg

These "specs" are unfortunately only in marketing terms. They are not
specific enough to allow any guess as to wether Haiku might have some
chance of running on this machine.

The problematic areas are: How is the harddisk connected? Does the machine
rely on ACPI to be configured? I have tried the HD Audio driver on two
machines here, on one of them, at least a device was shown. You don't
mention anything about the graphics chipset, so I cannot comment.

That being said, Haiku is nowhere near being ready to be used. If it would
run on this machine it would only make for a nice demo, nothing much more.

Best regards,
-Stephan