[haiku] Anyone looking to help out?

  • From: scottmc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku <haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 23:27:32 -0800

Over the years I've seen more than a few ask on this list how can they help
out and then they disappear, perhaps just falling back to lurker status
again.  I'd like to get some of you out of lurker status and help build up
some momentum as we move towards that Haiku R1.  There's a lot that can be
done, that's lots of open Haiku track tickets, but perhaps most of them are
over your head.  Well there's still things you can help out with.  Haiku
participated in Google's Code In again this year, with over 30 students
completing 150+ tasks and stilling counting (2 days or so left as I write
this).  Some of those tasks many of us on this list could have done.
 Things such as adding new bep files to help automate building and
rebuilding of programs and libraries for Haiku.  Testing, and double
checking open trac tickets to see if they are still issues and if so
providing more details.  Testing out of third party programs and providing
feedback and feature requests.  Perhaps research some of the many open
issues with these third party apps and updating them to work on Haiku.
 Many of us old-timers remember the glory days of BeGroovy and other such
sites where we would rally together in a call to action and make big things
happen.  Perhaps this would be a good time to try this again.
http://forums.begroovy.com/index.php?topic=5470.0

English not your first language?  Perhaps join the i18n mailing list and
help out translating Haiku into your native language.
Interested in joining the QA team, there's a mailing list for that now,
perhaps join it and help in plotting that out.
If you are looking for some ideas of things you can do to help out just ask,

-scottmc