[openbeos] Ang: Re: Ang: Re: Firefox in Haiku gcc4

  • From: "holmqvist.fredrik@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <holmqvist.fredrik@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 15:06:56 +0100 (CET)

BeBits (
>> http://www.bebits.com ) has always been there. It should
work
>> quite well now. I recommend the BONE version if possible.
>>
>> This however are for those who uses or builds Haiku under
>> gcc4. This version is not backwards compatible with BeOS
due to
>> changes in gcc. It has now been proven that we should be
able
>> to build Firefox even for those people.
>Does this pave the way for FF3 builds?
>
>--DarkWyrm

Yes and no, Mozilla is not interesting in keeping gcc2.95
support so we are in better shape there. However to have
Firefox3 we need someone to fix Cairo for BeOS/Haiku. It is
mostly ported, but not working correctly. Also we would either
need to port Pango or write our own fonthandling. Hopefully we
can skip Pango as OS/2 apparently does.

Personally I think Cairo is very ugly so I'm not very
interested in doing that myself. The idea to abstract away the
rendering implementation though is quite good.

/Fredrik Holmqvist, TQH