[openbeos] Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: A joke ?

  • From: Rafael Guterres Jeffman <rafasgj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 15:14:05 -0200

On Mon, 21 Jan 2002 17:25:57 +0100
Luedin Markus <markus.luedin@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Not in Brasil. (For those who don't know it is with 's', not 'z')
> >
> > In the Microsoft Windows 98 EULA it says says something like you rent
> > w98, for as long as you want to use it, but it is not yours and in the
> > case of obtainning a new version, the media (CD) should be returned to a
> > Microsoft Office.
> >
> But the EULA does only count if it's not against local law.....

Hard to be made truth down here...

As of w98 release, the rules for software updates was like:
  - minor releases/upgrades should be freely avaiable for "registered
customers";

Windows 95 version, IIRC, was 4.0.95 and windows 98 was 4.0.98 and M$ surely
didn't make this "minor upgrade" freely available. And I doubt someone would
win (as in winner not windows) in court...

There is a lot more then being "against local law". It is something like "is
it good for ... that it is against law"? Our stupid govern was about to make
a HUGE contract with M$ so as it would be only company to sell software for
educational institutes. The claim was to "give students the best technology
offered for personal computers at low cost".

I should stop now I want to start ranting, and this is not the place.

[]'s
Rafael