[openbeos] Re: A new BMessage implementation (Message4)

  • From: mmlr@xxxxxxxx
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 13:48:24 +0100 (CET)

> I don't think it's worth to re-engineer the Dano message
> format actually (unless you've already done so).

I have not, no. As you may have noticed I investigated the Dano message
format further and documented my findings. I rewrote your dano_message
reader by the way, hope you don't mind. It should now support all Dano
messages.

I still think that rewriting Message4 to match the Dano format is
possible, but considering the extra work needed and considering that I,
by now, also wrote a R5 reader/writer, I suppose using the R5 format
will be easier. The reader/writer is not yet integrated into Message4,
but this is a matter of switching the functions.

> And I would also agree with Diane that switching to the
> new format on-disk was not a good idea at all; it's just
> a question if this assessment is already true with the
> release of Zeta.

Using the R5 format and being able to read the Dano format puts us in
the best situation of course. This way we're universally compatible :)

> But since our aim is compatibility with R5, I would still
> think the R5 message format is preferrable on disk.

Agreed. I'll include the R5 reader/writer into Message4 now and then
finally commit that thing.

As a status update: Message4 can now be delivered inside Haiku. It's now
in a working state and can be used in a drop-in manner.

Regards
Michael