[haiku-webkit] Re: iframes and frames finally fixed

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-webkit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 21:16:46 +0100

On 2010-02-23 at 19:24:12 [+0100], Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 9:58 AM, Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > in case you are not staying up to date with
> > <http://mmlr.dyndns.org/timeline>... the sub-frame/iframe problem is
> > finally fixed. Praise Ingo's source level debugger!
>
> Cool! On this note could you provide any tips/instructions on using
> Ingo's debugger with WebKit? I suppose you need to have debug symbols
> only on certain files?

Exactly. Otherwise it craps out. On my current setup, with 2GB of RAM and no
swapfile (because my system partition has no space on it), ld can't link a
full debug build of WebCore before running out of memory. So what I do is I
touch all files that I think will be interesting and invoke jam -n. This
won't build anything, but show the command lines which would be used. Then I
manually run each command line and add -g and remove -O2. Alternatively, one
can touch all interesting files and mess with the build setup to temorarily
enable -g and remove -O2. Then just prepend "Debugger " before the command
line you use for launching HaikuLauncher and from there it works by itself.
Debugger also remembers breakpoints across sessions, so that's a great help.
It can be confusing when you have to step into or over a function and
sometimes it just doesn't show any code, but just step a few more times and
you are where you want to be. I think this happens when you would step into
functions for which there are no debugging symbols. Usually, you would look
at the assembly code, but it doesn't seem to work always reliably.
Eventually you will be back at the code you want to look at, though.
Debugger will also show all variables now, which is another great help.

Best regards,
-Stephan