[haiku-webkit] Long Term Plans: HTML5 audio and video

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-webkit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 13:27:55 -0500

I'm sure I'm premature in mentioning this, but it might be worth discussing now:

One of the big advantages in using a modern web framework like WebKit
is having most of the support for the new HTML5 features like the
audio and video tags. Having these working in our WebKit port can
really improve the user experience, especially given we don't have an
official Flash plug-in (and that it might take some time to get either
mmlr's interpreter or Gnash up to snuff.) Plus HTML5 audio and video
is the future and I look forward to the day when Flash is relegated to
just online games and badly designed Flash-heavy web-sites (in other
words you can live fine without it.)

Anyhow, to get to the point it seems like it should not be too hard to
get support for HTML5 audio and video in our port by using the Media
Kit and implementing the MediaPlayerPrivate.h API. Though obviously
this is lower priority than more basic features, but I imagine with
Stephan's MediaPlayer and Media Kit experience it will be pretty easy
for him. Though we may need to do some code extraction and build
private libraries to encapsulate all the features built into the
MediaPlayer video and audio playing.

So I guess the question is has this been considered yet or is it
extremely low priority? I don't at all want to derail any current
momentum on core browser features, but depending on where this is on
Stephan's list, I might look into it. Even though it would probably
take me much longer to implement something compared to Stephan or
someone else with more Media Kit experience, it also would be a good
way to learn more about the Media Kit while implementing something
useful.

--
Regards,
Ryan