[haiku-web] Re: Trac spam [...]

  • From: Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 11:01:21 +0100

Hi,

On 2014-03-09 at 05:19:17 [+0100], Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 8, 2014 at 10:32 AM, Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I have installed TracSpamFilter just now. It comes with several different
> > filter capabilities, most of which have been deactivated (like all
> > external
> > spam filter services), leaving only the captcha active. For that, we're
> > using Google's recaptcha service as a backend.
> > This seems to work alright, let's see if it helps against the spamming.
>
> I'd personally be OK with hooking it to some service like Mollom. It's
> not like our tickets are private data, and usually Mollom can improve
> spam detection across many sites where the same spammers have already
> attacked.

OK, I've just noticed that the usual spammer (*aja101) didn't mind the
captcha, so I guess we need some more defensive measures.

> > Every developer now has SPAM train and SPAM monitor permissions, such that
> > people can help deleting tickets via the spam-monitoring admin page.
>
> In order for the spam filtering to work properly (learning), does it
> rely on tickets being marked as spam and remain in the database?

It does rely on the tickets being learned as spam or ham, but the spam
tickets can be dealt with by the 'delete as spam' button in the 'monitoring'
admin section.

> > Finally, I have activated the ticket deleting feature, such that tickets
> > can now be deleted.
>
> Nice... I suppose one of us can go back and nuke all those "junk" tickets.
>
> BTW, did you also update Trac to a newer version?

Not really, no. I had to recreate the trac-specific virtual python
environment (i.e. /src/trac/trac-1.0-env), but I installed Trac-1.0.1 in
there, which is the same version as had been installed before.

On Sat, Mar 9, 2014 at 05:29:17 [+0100], Urias McCullough
<umccullough@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Oh, and it seems notifications are no longer going to the haiku-bugs
> mailing list:

Yes, I've noticed that, although the reason for that is unclear to me, yet.
The configuration clearly states that it should use trac@xxxxxxxxxxxx as the
from address.

cheers,
        Oliver