[haiku-web] Re: Drupal optimizations results (and request for admin-password)

  • From: Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 14:25:42 +0100

On 2010-12-29 at 11:31:33 [+0100], Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

[ ... ]

> Anyway, I'm going to test the performance difference between GA active and
> inactive today, so I can give you some numbers.

I have done that now and the results are that GA doesn't influence the
performance in any meaningful manner, at least I wasn't able to read any
relevant difference from the two jmeter runs. Dunno why I got the impression
that it slowed things down in the first place, I must have mixed up
something when experimenting with deactivating all those Drupal modules.
So, from a performance viewpoint, GA can be left active on our real site.

Additionally, I have looked at our GA stats and they don't seem to be much
different from what other log analyzers produce, albeit a bit more detailed
(and reliable, I suppose, as they have code implanted in the browsers). The
concrete numbers are greatly different from the ones shown on our web-stats
page, but I haven't any idea about why that is, yet.

I'm no expert on this stuff, but looking at the data GA exchanges with its
server, I get the impression that they are able to track user specific
actions across sites with GA.
As that's not quite my cup of tea, I tried to get rid of the utm... cookies,
but with Firefox I wasn't able to do that unless I chose to reject all
cookies of www.haiku-os.org. That of course would include the session
cookie, so that doesn't make much sense. Bummer ...

cheers,
        Oliver