[haiku-web] Re: BugTrackerEtiquette

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 12:46:47 +0200 CEST

Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 9:04 PM, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > wrote:
> > First, why would we need an MD5 hash of attachments? While I
> > wouldn't
> > mind of someone does the extra work to provide, I would never check
> > it
> > unless I would think the file got corrupted, and if it got
> > corrupted,
> > it shouldn't be hard to find out either way, and notice the
> > provider of
> > the file.
> I figured that if a file is larger than what Trac allows, >400kb
> iirc,
> then it'd be nice to make sure that it was uploaded (and downloaded)
> properly.  Is this wording more appropriate ?
>
> "While not necessary, a md5sum checksum of the file could be
> included.
> This is mostly useful for binary attachments. It will allow another
> person to verify that the downloaded file matches the one that was
> uploaded."

Maybe something like:
'Be prepared to generate an MD5 checksum (using "md5sum") in case an
attachment is under the suspicion of being corrupted.'

> > The second thing is a bit strange wording/message of the first
> > point,
> > or should that be funny? :-)
> Heh, a little dry humor perhaps :)
>
> Slightly re-worded:
> "If a respected project contributor complains about your behavior on
> this bug tracker, then your account may be disabled. If you do not
> like this possibility, then become a respected project contributor.
> This implies abiding by this rule."

I think I would just remove the last two sentences (starting with "If
you..."). At least I don't see a a necessary connection between the two
things. The only thing to prevent being thrown out is to behave, not
become a respected contributor; to me it still sounds like contributors
don't need to behave (the last sentence doesn't manage to undo that
IMO).

Bye,
   Axel.