[haiku-sysadmin] Re: Postmaster Copy: Undelivered Mail

  • From: Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-sysadmin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 11:15:02 +0100

On 2009-11-22 at 10:12:34 [+0100], Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 09:07, Mail Delivery System
> <MAILER-DAEMON@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[ ... ]

> If it matters, it seems that *all* emails from
> [haiku-3rdparty-development] are being rejected by mmlr. I ended up
> setting some aggressive flags to prevent him from being
> auto-unsubscribed.

Yeah, I did the same for haiku-commits a while ago, but that seems to have
been resolved, i.e. I no longer get any bounces for mmlr.

I talked with him and tried to analyze the problem when the bounces started
and it seems that his ISP connects back to the MX of the from address of
incoming mail and starts a fake SMTP session there in order to find out if the
given address is in fact accepted there. This kind of behaviour is generally
frowned upon, as it produces a lot of unnecessary load on foreign SMTP
servers, and in our current, rather specific, setup, their server is in fact
asking the webfaction server if trac@xxxxxxxxxxxx is known. :-\

So I think the best we can do is this:

1. Setup our postfix at baron.haiku-os.org to accept all addresses we use for
sending out mails - either by listing them explicitly or by setting up a
catch-all.

2. Forward all the mails coming in via the accepted addresses or the catch-all
(most of which will be bounces or SPAM) to the current postmaster of the haiku
domains (i.e. me, ATM).  We can adjust the forwards as needed whenever I'm not
available.

3. Clone all existing (non-person-specific) forwards from the webfaction setup
and add some more for the webfaction mailboxes (Niels: any news on that front
yet?).

4. Switch the haiku-os.org MX to baron.haiku-os.org

Having thought about it some more, I no longer think that sending all the
mails to this list is a good idea, since sooner or later someone will send a
mail with private information to 'abuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx' or 'admin@xxxxxxxxxxxx'
and I doubt it's a good idea to have those kind of mails end up in a public
mailing list archive. ;-)

cheers,
        Oliver