[haiku-sysadmin] Re: [Haiku] #11828: Look into using one-time-passwords as secondary authentication method for baron

  • From: "zooey" <trac@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 19:50:16 -0000

#11828: Look into using one-time-passwords as secondary authentication method
for
baron
-------------------------+----------------------------
   Reporter:  zooey      |      Owner:  haiku-sysadmin
       Type:  task       |     Status:  new
  Component:  Sys-Admin  |    Version:
 Resolution:             |   Keywords:
 Blocked By:             |   Blocking:
Has a Patch:  0          |   Platform:  All
-------------------------+----------------------------
Description changed by zooey:

Old description:

> During last BeGeistert, Jonathan Schleifer suggested to use OTP as
> secondary authentication method on baron, such that people logging in via
> ssh would have to produce the appropriate one-time-password, too.
>
> While this kind of two-factor-authentication seems to much of a hassle on
> things like git.haiku-os.org, I think it makes a lot of sense for baron
> itself (i.e. the hypervisor machine), maybe even for vmdev and vmweb.
>
> One way of implementing this would be to install and configure
> [http://www.nongnu.org/oath-toolkit/ the oath toolkit] on whatever server
> we'd like to experiment with first. The respective SUSE-packages are
> pam_oath and oath-toolkit, provided by the `security`-repository.
>
> Of course, for this to work, all admins would need to have some
> compatible client app running on their smartphone, as otherwise they
> could no longer log in. One of these apps is FreeOTP, but I think Google
> Authenticator should work, too.
>
> I have no idea whether to use the time-base (TOTP) or event-based (HOTP)
> algorithm, so the pros/cons of these require some more research.

New description:

[...]

 This link could be useful: [http://spod.cx/blog/two-factor-ssh-auth-with-
 pam_oath-google-authenticator.shtml], this is describing a setup for
 RHEL/CentOS, but it shouldn't be too difficult to transfer to openSUSE.

Ticket URL: <https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/11828#comment:1>
Haiku <https://dev.haiku-os.org>
Haiku - the operating system.