[haiku-sysadmin] Re: Daily Summary for vmweb.haiku-os.org

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-sysadmin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 12:35:22 -0800

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 4:23 AM, Niels Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Findings:
>>
>> 1. Sending email works. Sending the test email does not seem to be a problem.
>> 2. There are 497 items in the subscriptions queue.
>> 3. The from address for the website was set to walter@xxxxxxxxxxxx (in
>> http://www.haiku-os.org/admin/settings/site-information). I changed it
>> to notify@xxxxxxxxxxxx (like it is in the SMTP module).
>
> I do not get the errors from cron.php anymore. I am now manually
> trying to 'finish' the email queue.
>
> I have no idea why these errors surfaced though.
>
> For now I consider this matter to be 'fixed'.

Hmm...

It has been walter@xxxxxxxxxxxx for a while now, but I think
notify@xxxxxxxxxxxx is probably more proper (even though walter is a
nice tip of the hat ;)

Maybe a quick mention on haiku-web that the outgoing notification
address has changed - I know some of us have setup gmail filters
looking for walter@xxxxxxxxxxxx and may need to adjust them.

I would even recommend we eventually switch it to something like
"no-reply@xxxxxxxxxxxx" as this is a more common approach to outgoing
notification emails.

BTW, baron.haiku-os.org is now an authorized outgoing email sender per
our SPF - so there's no further reason that the website must use
authenticated SMTP through webfaction for outgoing emails, but instead
can use baron itself.

- Urias