[haiku-sysadmin] Re: Collectd: WARNING on vmrepo.haiku-os.org

  • From: Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-sysadmin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 19:27:02 +0200

Hi there,

On 2013-05-16 at 16:47:42 [+0200], root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> 2013-05-16 16:47:42 - WARNING@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Message: Host vmrepo.haiku-os.org, plugin load type load: Data source
> "midterm" is currently 5.040000. That is above the warning threshold of
> 5.000000.

Apparently, this was caused by the MSN bot sifting through our cgit
represantation of our repositories. Apache started to fail with out of
memory errors when it had reached a load of 30. In order to better cope
with robots, I have now switched our Apache installation on vmrepo from
mpm_prefork to mpm_worker (i.e. from a multi-processing to a
multi-threading setup). This should reduce the memory pressure
considerably, let's see if it causes any problems ...

cheers,
        Oliver