[haiku-sysadmin] Re: Collectd: WARNING on baron.haiku-os.org

  • From: Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-sysadmin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 20:01:23 +0200

On 2012-08-19 at 19:18:59 [+0200], Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
wrote:
> I just bought a new HD (ST2000DL003) whose specs give an operating
> temperature up to 60°C. It might be model specific. I've googled a bit and
> often read 55°C. I've also read reports of people having measured 70°C. So
> I guess the HD won't just break down a few degrees above the specified
> maximum. Data reliability may drop significantly, though.

Yes, I've checked the SMART output (smartctl -x -a /dev/sd{a,b}) and that
gives maximal measured temperatures of 61°C and 56°C respectively. The
maximal recommended temperature is 72°C, and the limit is 77°C. The
temperatures have decreased over the last 30 minutes, so I guess the disks
should still be ok.

Judging from the flood of messages about system temperature, the crisis
ain't over yet, though ... I'll keep an eye on things.

cheers,
        Oliver