[haiku-gsoc] Re: questions about DV media node

  • From: "JiSheng Zhang" <jszhang3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-gsoc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 23:18:12 +0800

Hi Francois,

2008/7/24 François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Sorry for being late. I didn't know this maillist before.
>>
>> As for the project, the firewire subsystem doesn't publish a device
>> node for every attached 1394 device. So the method used by usb_webcam
>> which monitor the device node in /dev/bus/usb/ doesn't work for
>> firewire dv.
>>
>> Is there another way to tell the media server to rescan the flavor?
>
> theorically you should set it for autostart, and return 0 as count
> somewhere, but IIRC there was a bug in R5 that made it crash, and I
> disabled this in usb_webcam.
> Currently it only works if you have the cam plugged in before starting
> media_server.
Do you mean the usb_webcam media node now works like this?
> Does it work this way with fw ?
It should

If there is a way to reload the add-on , it's better. How about
implement like this:the application which want to use the dv node
should explicit tell media server to reload the firewire-dv add-on?

But the best way is like the usb webcam. The firewire system can
detect the insert of device, but how to tell the user space? The
method used by usb webcam is via monitor the B_ENTRY_CREATED message.

> François.

Regards,
JiSheng