[haiku-development] wpa_supplicant

  • From: kallisti5 <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 May 2017 13:02:12 -0500

Hello,

I noticed that wpa_supplicant hasn't been updated in four years. (wpa_supplicant provides the core functionality of authenticating to wireless networks). I think it hasn't been updated for so long because it is wpa_supplicant + "a large patch adding Haiku support, dialogs, etc"

https://github.com/haikuports/haikuports/blob/3dfe22944c828445652a0c272add756f45672b73/net-wireless/wpa_supplicant/patches/wpa_supplicant-2.0.patch

wpa_supplicant has moved on to 2.4 meaning a lot of this patch likely needs re-applied and rebased by hand.

I see a few options:

1) Leave it as-is and letting it continue to rot until something breaks.
2) Upstream our changes? (maybe minus the dialogs and stuff?) I'm assuming we already tried this?
3) Fork the wpa_supplicant 2.0 codebase to github/haiku/wpa_supplicant, apply our patches and work on cherry-picking later changes.

 -- Alex