[haiku-development] Re: vmware image

  • From: "Urias McCullough" <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 16:28:59 -0700

On 02/04/2008, Curtis Wanner <katisu@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  Fredrik wrote:
>  > This are a rely nice site for making VMware images (empty)
>  > http://www.easyvmx.com/new-easyvmx.shtml
>  >
>  > Found this options that I didn't know about :)
>  > # Number of virtual CPUs. Your virtual machine will not
>  > # work if this number is higher than the number of your physical CPUs
>  > numvcpus = "2"
>

> IMHO this should be added to the vmx file on www.haiku-files.org with a
>  default setting of 1.
>  I've been meaning to bug somebody about that.

There are a few other neat settings I have run across in the past as
well... but most people probably won't care much.

There's a synctime setting (tools.syncTime I think) which tells vmware
to keep the VM RTC in sync with the host's

Also, the generated ethernet address and UUID probably shouldn't be
included in th vmx file for download - I believe they are re-created
at first-start if they're missing. If anyone wanted to run multiple
Haiku VMs on the same host using the same default VMX file they might
run into problems with that...

The tools.remindInstall can be set to FALSE - I think this turns off
the nag at the bottom of the VMWare window IIRC.