[haiku-development] some feedback on fOSSa

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 00:46:26 +0100 CET

Hi,
I don't have time to write a blog entry, but I wanted to list some
points interesting for us about what I saw there.

First, I had quite a lot of people at my workshop, which is always
rewarding.
Didn't have much time to show stuff (and the beamer didn't like my
video card as always), at least I've shown the boot time and the some
of the GUI.
I had some questions about the "placement" of Haiku in the market/
ecosystem/...

As for the other talks, there were several high level talks about FOSS
and governance, community building, ... which were interesting, but
also other projects meant to help on those topics.

Some that could be relevant to us :

* FOSSology: http://fossology.org/
It's a tool meant to investigate licence usage on code source, in
particular to detect possible conflicts. While the tool itself is open,
their hosted version is not publically available to avoid people being
misled by wrongly interpreted results.
However it is possible to ask for an account for Haiku, which I might
do at some point.

* PLUME: http://www.projet-plume.org/en
It is a catalog of FOSS projects meant to make them visible to academia
for research and teaching use, which I believe Haiku is a potential
candidate.

* Nepomuk: http://nepomuk.semanticdesktop.org/
It's a project about "semantic desktop", which is something Be should
have investigated, had they not be gone down.

I didn't have business cards left, so I used R1/alpha CDs instead :p

François.