[haiku-development] Re: /proc/cpuinfo

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 00:21:43 +0100 CET

> > Better fix these apps so they use portable code instead.
> >
> I wanted to dmesg, sysctl and ipfw type FreeBSD. :)

dmesg is not a syscall AFAIK, it's just a userland command to get
kernel messages.
In BeOS and Haiku you just get them in syslog, when enabled.
Just run:
tail -f /var/log/syslog

We don't have sysctl, don't really need it yet. There is a simpler call
introduced recently, get_system_info_etc(), but it's read only.
I believe it'd be possible to have something that could be wrapped as
sysctl() but built on top of a more BeOS-like call by extending this
one to be usable by modules, and use typed data for automatic handling.
(like, "net.ipv4.tcp.default_timeout" as B_TIME_TYPE...)
The semantics for sysctl() differs widely accross OSes anyway so it's
really not compatible with itself (OSX, BSD, Linux...).

Firewall ?
Well feel free to implement one. But I'd rather get IPv6 first ;)

François.

P.S. please don't top post, cf. Netiquette about guidelines for email.