[haiku-development] package / non-packaged (was Haiku, Inc. etc.)

  • From: Donn Cave <donn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 07:37:41 -0800 (PST)

Quoth Augustin Cavalier <waddlesplash@xxxxxxxxx>,

> Because "~/config/non-packaged" was/is supposed to be temporary and only
> used by e.g. developers testing software. End-users should get all their
> software via HPKGs, or "unzip and run anywhere".

That seems like asking for trouble - provide a non-packaged alternative
to the package system, but say (to yourselves) it's not really to be used.
So you can pull it later, and say no one should have using it?  It seems
unlikely that there will ever be any need to lock the system down to
packaged files only, why not accept this as a virtue of the design?

I'll put a port in non-packaged because right off hand I don't see how
to package it.  Big, distribution with a complicated makefile system,
that (of course) installs itself to $prefix/bin etc., and incorporates
those paths into itself.  It would be cool if I could set up a writeable
/boot/system/ pkgfs pkg, run 'make install' and voilá my package contents
in that package overlay, but that isn't an option, is it?

        Donn