[haiku-development] Re: infoPopper info_server

  • From: Thom Holwerda <slakje@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 11:35:48 +0200
On 11 apr 2008, at 11:08, Axel Dörfler wrote:

"Pier Luigi Fiorini" <pierluigi.fiorini@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It's something that is standard on (almost) every system.

Sure, but I haven't seen an implementation yet that didn't annoy me.
It's a balancing act in getting useful information to the user, and not
interrupting him in his work.

It may be a good idea to take a look at OS X' Growl [1]. I generally hate these infopopupthings too, but because Growl is so extremely configurable, it allows you to completely tune it to your needs. You can set the duration of each notification, position, opacity, sounds, themes, etc., all on a per-application, per-event basis. With sane defaults, and a transparent configuration dialog, such an infopopupthing should work just fine for Haiku.

And there's a big OFF button too, of course.

[1] http://growl.info/

Thom