[haiku-development] Re: #haiku is locked to new devs/users

  • From: Adrien Destugues <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2015 06:58:21 +0200

On Tue, Jul 07, 2015 at 09:15:23PM -0700, Urias McCullough wrote:

On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 8:39 PM, Jim Saxton <black.belt.jimmy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
This is a recent development that was reported here:

https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/12197

and here:

https://www.haiku-os.org/community/forum/irc_channel_locked

and needs to be addressed.

FWIW, I don't think it should be locked down to registered users
either - but since I pretty much don't hang out in #haiku or monitor
the channel, I guess my opinion doesn't count for much these days.

+1,m please remove this restriction. Haiku has an open community, and an
open IRC channel. If you can't bear the trolls, ignore them or don't do
IRC.

Adding restrictions on the channel like this is making the trolls win
the fight. It is even more annoying than the trolls themselves. People
using an unconfigured vision (as #HaikuUser) will not be able to join
the channel anymore, which means we never will get new people to come
and stay there, and the channel does not serve its main purpose as an
easy way to reach the devs and ask for help.

--
Adrien.