[haiku-development] Re: gsoc suggestion of haiku

  • From: Yu Ziyu <yuziyumail@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 17:00:59 +0800

Oh, I've sent it already.:-)

Stephan Aßmus 写道:
Moving this back to the haiku-development list, so others can chime in. :-)

Yu Ziyu schrieb:
The /proc filesystem is a direct reflection of the system kept in memory and represented in a hierarchal manner. The effort of the /proc filesystem is to provide an easy way to view kernel and information about currently running processes. As a result, some commands (ps for example) read /proc directly to get information about the state of the system. The premise behind /proc is to provide such information in a readable manner instead of having to invoke difficult to understand system calls.

The /proc fs can be used for system related tasks such as:
Viewing Statistical Information
Finding out Hardware Information
Modifying Runtime Parameters
Viewing and Modifying Network and Host Parameters
Memory and Performance Information

I get these information from here http://linuxgazette.net/issue46/fink.html.

Sorry I'm not familiar with the Haiku os. So I found there is not a /proc filesystem like other unix-like system. Maybe there is some mechanism similar to /proc filesystem in Haiku.

We have our own tools and API to get this information (like our own ps, listarea). I am not sure that there is a high enough need for the /proc file system on Haiku. I may be the wrong person to judge this, though.

Best regards,
-Stephan