[haiku-development] Re: autoconf 2.13 co-existing with current version (2.63)

  • From: Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 00:49:37 +0000

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 10:54 PM, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Oh, the joys of auto tools. How is it solved on other platforms (e.g.
> Linux)?
That's the thing, I don't use any derivative of unix.  So, I'm really not sure.
From the limited googling, I've seen this method, but it doesn't
mention the prefix/share folder:
  this version is meant to coexist with autoconf-2.5x;
  to that end, the various binaries are actually linked to a script which
  decides which version to execute. It tries to be clever and will execute
  2.5x if `configure.ac' is present, or if `configure.in' contains AC_PREREQ
  and the value's 3 first letters are stringwise greater than '2.1'. If
  anything fails, you can manually select 2.13 by providing the environment
  variable WANT_AUTOCONF_2_1 set to `1' (use WANT_AUTOCONF_2_5 if you want
  the 2.5x version).
: from http://osdir.com/ml/linux.mandrake.cooker.cvs/2003-04/msg00583.html

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 11:17 PM, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The obvious solution would be not to use that autoconf mess at all - it
> just seems hard to spread around :-)
This reminds me of the discussion of  return -errno and the futility
of forever changing code as opposed to embracing it  ;)