[haiku-development] Re: Yet potential task for GSoC: Hardware cursors?

  • From: Alex Wilson <yourpalal2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 14:01:54 -0700

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 1:44 PM, Clemens Zeidler
<clemens.zeidler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 08:37:02 +1300, Alexander von Gluck
> <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I've been told that while Haiku is ready for hardware cursors
>> (B_SET_CURSOR_SHAPE, B_MOVE_CURSOR, B_SHOW_CURSOR), the implementation in
>> the accelerants (vesa) and the app server isn't there.
>>
>> see http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/327 for more info.
>>
>> Maybe a good task for gsoc?
>> It would let me enable double buffered GL apps and prevent cursor flicker
>> over GL applications.
>>
>>  -- Alex
>

> Maybe thats not enough but maybe extend this task to work on a composite
> app_server after doing that? Think thats would be a good task especially
> because Stephan already wrote a clear road map:
>
> http://haiku-os.org/articles/2011-06-15_how_transform_app_server_code_use_compositing

That would be a really good GSoC task in my opinion. This is something
that could potentially benefit Haiku greatly, but it's not something
that *has* to be done. It would also be good to improve the 'bus
factor' on the app_server code. Also, as Clemens said, there is
already good documentation in place for what needs to be done, so the
mentoring burden could be much lower. Starting with enabling hardware
cursors could be a good way for the student to become familiar with
the app_server.

--Alex