[haiku-development] Re: Writing Device Drivers - CRAM - Problem uninit_driver()

  • From: Earl Pottinger <earl_colby_pottinger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 13:47:24 -0700 (PDT)

> From: François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>

> As long as the (de)compression cost is lower than the
> slowdown of
> accessing the physical disk I suppose it could be worth
> it.
>
> Then we should have a compress/ kernel module subtree with
> an API that
> could be used for other subsystems as well (kernel-side
> VPN, ...).

While the zip libraries can be used that way, a true compression API that
support multiple compressors would be nice to have.  XFH for the Amiga was
great that way.  Make the de/compressors work much the same way translators do
now and they would be available to all to use.

> >> 3) Fake-Raid:

> Besides, if that's what you want, then you could just
> implement a native LVM instead.

I already have my code working, what advantage do I gain by starting over the
LVM?
Plus it look like I will have to touch the kernel to make it work.  My driver
sits outside the kernel.

> >> 4) Speed:

> We have things like Bonnie++ in the test cases, that should
> suit better than a simple dd :p

I will look into that - thanks.