[haiku-development] Wireless Drivers

  • From: Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 15:19:05 +0100

Hi all,

Very much a testing-the-water email wondering on the state of Wireless drivers in Haiku. I remember one driver being written (perhaps by mmlr?) but can't remember what hardware it was for. Is there any sort of core functionality that could be reused by other drivers (for example WEP?)

I chose my wireless card carefully, making sure there were at least some opensource drivers available. It's based on a ralink RT61 chipset - the manufacturer provides open source linux drivers. I might attempt to port the driver so I could have internet in BeOS and Haiku - that's one of the things stopping me from doing more BeOS/Haiku coding.

Advice would be great.

Oh yeh, I've never written a driver before, so don't treat this email as a promise I'll do work on it or anything :)

Ralink's official linux driver page is here: http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Linux.html

And there is an offshoot community-driven project to maintain the drivers:
http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com

Simon