[haiku-development] Re: Updating Haiku

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2013 01:14:12 +0100

On 11/02/2013 01:42 PM, scottmc wrote:
Is there a way yet for Haiku Depot to be able to get updated packages
since a certain release?  Say for instance the next release of Haiku
happens in the next month or so, and then another handful of updated
packages are added a few weeks later.  Will Haiku Depot see and be able
to install these new/updated packages?  If not, is this planned and how
much longer would it take to add this capability?

I can't say anything wrt HaikuDepot, as I haven't been involved in its development. pkgman already has an "update" command. In theory configuring a newer HaikuPorts package repository and running "pkgman update" should update all concerned packages (probably needs to be done for both installation locations). I have only tested the functionality with trivial test repositories back when I implemented it.

Obviously, as long as we don't have a Haiku package repository, updating the system itself this way won't be possible. I recently prepared the build system for that by implementing proper versioning for the packages. The main thing missing is the infrastructure actually building the repository. Some client-side changes may also be necessary (maybe an explicit pkgman command for system upgrades, probably some special package daemon handling for the system package (it might not be a good idea to deactivate it while the system is running)).

The planned infrastructure changes are:

1. Move the HaikuPorts repository to baron and integrate updating packages with the push process.

2. Run a BuildBot/whatever service on baron for building Haiku and the Haiku package repository.

3. Run a BuildBot/whatever service on baron for building HaikuPorts packages.

Only 1. and 2. are required for the Haiku update functionality. Oliver already started with 1.; I guess it depends on how much time he finds when it will be done. 2. hasn't been started yet. It hasn't even been decided which tool to use.

CU, Ingo