[haiku-development] Re: System Soundfont

  • From: pulkomandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 07:54:42 +0200

On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 05:46:25PM -0700, Yourself wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 07:56:40AM +0200, pulkomandy wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 10:09:14PM -0700, Yourself wrote:
> > > On Sun, Aug 24, 2014 at 10:38:14PM -0700, Pete Goodeve wrote:
> > >  >  suggest something like the following:

> > > OK -- that doesn't work... (:-()
> > >
> > > I set up a package as I described, (using a work folder with the desired
> > > tree structure), intending to place a link in /boot/system/settings/synth,
> > > but that folder is not created by package installation.
> > >

> > > So what am I missing?  Can't the PM system put stuff in settings?
> > > Something must be able to, because there's a lot of default stuff there.
> >
> > Not directly. The package must declare which files it's going to publish
> > in the settings folder, and tell the system what to do when the package
> > is updated (keep the existing files, replace with new ones from the
> > package). This is done with the global_writable_files in the package
> > header.
>
> Afraid I'm still a bit lost.  I've been reading
>
>     https://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/PackageManagement/FileFormat
>
> but it leaves me unclear as to exactly what lines I should add to the
> .Packageinfo.
>
> Could I persuade you to give a short example?

You need to use global-writable-files for this.
https://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/PackageManagement/BuildingPackages has an
example for whem creating a package manually, for HaikuPorter you can
check e.g. the distcc recipe which uses this (it's GLOBAL_WRITABLE_FILES
in Haikuporter format).

> > Also, I think we should remove the "Installing alternative sound fonts"
> > from there and move that to the Haiku User Guide. And for better
> > integration, we could maybe add a Midi tab in the Media preflet allowing
> > to easily switch soundfonts?
>
> You beat me to it... (:-))  Agreed on both points.  I was thinking of a
> separate MIDI
> preflet, but it's probably better to add it to Media.
>
> I think I'll leave both big_synth.sy and  a short explanatory note in the
> synth folder
> for now.  When the kit synth is updated, they can be dumped.

Sounds good. I'm suggesting to use the Media preferences wecause we
already have quite a big list of preflets. Merging them makes it easier
to find what one is looking for, and the Media one seems suitable as it
has a list of components on the side already (with entries for Audio and
Video). Adding MIDI there sounds good. I don't know if we'd need to have
settings for MIDI devices other than the synth, however.

--
Adrien.