[haiku-development] Re: Stack & Tile Update

  • From: "Stephan Assmus" <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 11:35:44 +0100

Hi Christoph,

> I have updated the Stack & Tile patches here:
> http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~lutteroth/linprog.diff
> http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~lutteroth/stack-and-tile.diff

Thanks a lot for the update!

> There is now initial support for persistent stacks based on the solution
> proposed by Stefan: apps that save their window settings using
> GetSettings() and
> then restore them upon restart using SetSettings() now also store
> identifiers
> for the windows in their stack. When windows were stacked, then the next
> time
> they are opened, they will be stacked again.
>
> Stack & Tile seems relatively stable, but of course not perfect yet. As
> usual,
> if windows are not stacked or tiled using the Windows key, Stack & Tile
> remains
> deactivated and does not interfere.

I've read through the patches and have tried it for the first time. First of
all, there are no coding style violations, which is a big plus. Here are some
remarks about the code:

In DefaultDecorator::SetSettings(), the condition for applying the tab location
offset is now reversed, so that the location is never restored.

Same method, the line

+       settings.GetInfo("window id", &typeFound, &countFound);

looks like left-over and can be removed. I still need to look more closely at
the rest of the patch...

Anyways, about the usage:

* I am not so happy about the snapping behavior, many times, unrelated windows
snap into the stack. Sometimes I wanted to remove a window from a stack and the
stack somehow "reformed" anyways.

* Windows are supposed to resize together, but programmatic window resize
events do not seem to be handled consistently. For example, in a stack of
Tracker windows, clicking the zoom button of one window will resize it
temporarily to be different from the stack. Clicking this window's or another
window's tab to move the stack or resizing the stack will immediately restore
the window to the stack size.

I will play with it some more and maybe have more feedback. For now, I am happy
that at least Tracker window stacks are persistent across reboots. :-) Thanks
for working on this more! I will keep using the patch for a while, read through
the changes more closely and if the other developers have nothing against
adding it, then I can just commit it to trunk.

> Soon a research programmer will start to
> work on Stack & Tile regularly, so it will be maintained and improved.

That's great news!

Best regards,
-Stephan