[haiku-development] Re: Shortcuts that require shifting don't work

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 12:11:35 +0200 CEST

Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 1:32 PM, François Revol<revol@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > ALT-1,2,3... never worked in BeOS for azerty.
> > Nor does it work in Haiku yet IIRC.
> That is definitely annoying and is the same problem obviously, since
> numbers need to be shifted on azerty.

This has come up a number of times already. The difficulty for the OS
is that is does not know if your shortcut prefers the symbol or the
position of the key. While we could add some heuristics to deal with
those, they won't be perfect either, and may add a bit of randomness,
too (although it could make sure that what is shown next to the menu is
always correct, there are shortcuts without a menu, too).

In the end, I think we need to extend the shortcut mechanism a way that
lets you specify whether the symbol or the position should be taken
into account (raw key vs. mapped key).

Bye,
   Axel.