[haiku-development] Re: Separation of application configuration, data and cache

  • From: PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 13:07:29 +0100

Looking at ~/.config (the standard place on Linux where the configuration is stored according to this XDG standard) I can find only Gtk/Xfce applications right now. I guess that SDL and console apps are more interresting to Haiku
than Gtk apps. Unfortunately, I doubt there is something as nice as
find_directory() in glibc and/or SDL.

SDL doesn't handle anything related to files at all. Anyway, when you make a multiplatform SDL app using files, you have to get some platform-dependant code to run on windows, osX, and unix. Haiku is just one more case to handle in there, so not a big problem. Just tell people how to do it or submit patches on a per-application basis.

If we have an XDG-compatible API, then fine, quick-done POSIX-ports of well-xritten apps will handle things correctly. But this should be the porter job to handle this kind of things in the first place. Same holds for console apps. Don't try to bend Haiku to make it UNIX-like, and don't even try to bend UNIX to make it more Haiku-Like, they will not follow you :)

Yes it makes more work for porters. But it also avoids having 2 different APIs for doing the same thing, which is something we could call "bloat".

--
Adrien Destugues / PulkoMandy
http://pulkomandy.ath.cx