[haiku-development] Re: Self introduction

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 15:29:52 -0400

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 11:55 AM, Vijayanandham Kamalasekaran
<vijayanandham.k@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>      Iam vijay from india (a long term, haiku status follower :-)).Got some
> free time so i thought i can contribute something to haiku.

Great! It is always exciting to see new developers!

> I have got
> experience in porting device drivers(PCI,Ethernet,GPIO) in C,mostly for
> QNX.Right now i have a linux dev environment  ready(i was able to build
> haiku image) and Iam reading documentations on haiku.But iam finding it hard
> to pick a task at this stage.I need some guidance so that i can assist
> someone in a task.

Yes there are a lot of interesting areas to work related to Haiku. I
too sometimes having a hard time in choosing a bug to work on, or an
area in Haiku to improve. I think even though you have experience
working at the low level on drivers, it might be better to start off
with an easier higher-level bug, such as a bug in one of Haiku's
built-in applications.

In general there are two ways to find things to work on in Haiku:

1) Search our bug tracker at http://dev.haiku-os.org to see bugs other
people have reported, pick one of those, and work on it. Usually I try
to reproduce the bug, then look through the code quickly to see if I
can get a basic idea of why the bug is occuring, then I decide if it
is something I can fix. If so, I try to take ownership of the bug in
Trac (the bug tracking software.) For a new developer you could post a
comment on the bug saying you are going to work on it.

2) Play with Haiku and find bugs or areas that can be improved. A lot
of times these won't be bugs that have been reported in our bug
tracker, but it is still a good idea to do a search to be sure. If
there isn't an existing bug report then post one and say you are
working on it.

In both cases once you have fixed the bug, you can use svn diff to
create a diff, usually from the root of the Haiku tree. If you were
working on ShowImage, the Haiku image viewer, it might look like this:

$ cd ~/develop/haiku/trunk
$ svn diff src/apps/showimage > ShowImagePatch_for_bug_1234.diff

Then you can attach that diff to the ticket and optionally send an
email to this list to ask for a developer to look over the patch and
submit it.

Maybe you already understand the above and just would like a
suggestion for something to work on?

Well how about this to start: http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/3274

Regards,
Ryan