[haiku-development] Replaced all instances of benaphores in the kernel code by mutexes

  • From: Clemens Zeidler <clemens.zeidler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 09:26:17 +0200

Hi Ingo,

in r25690 you wrote that you replace benaphores by mutexes. What is the different between a benaphore and a mutex. I read the be newsletter about benaphores:
http://www.beatjapan.org/mirror/www.be.com/aboutbe/benewsletter/Issue26.html
short: benaphores are a combination of a semaphore and a atomic variable, faster if there's a lot of contention for the critical section

But I can't really find a definition of a mutex. Could you explain what mutex means in haiku?

thanks
        Clemens