[haiku-development] Re: Q: recover partially corrupt bfs without reinitializing?

  • From: Marcus Jacob <rossi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 18:06:45 +0200

On 08.04.2009, at 17:53, "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Marcus Jacob wrote:
is there a way to recover a partially corrupt bfs partition, without
reinitializing?

Nope.

Well, reinirializing right now.

checkfs seems to do more bad than good ...

I would doubt that.

Multiple runs of checkfs produce additional errors in my case instead of stating that everything is fine, as I would expect from the second run.

Corruption occured in a single directory, see ticket #3150.

So far, I haven't been able to reproduce it, unfortunately.

Well ;) I don't know, whats so special in my usage, but my file system gets corrupted frequently. My main system is trashed every other week.

Most errors appear in checked out source trees, but also in other places.

Anything I can do the next time my file system gets corrupted to help locate the problem.

Btw, once the error mentioned in the ticket appears, I also get frequent panics "vnode already exists".

Where do I find this tool? I remember such a command from BeOS but
haven't
seen it in Haiku.

There is none. I would actually prefer to fix bugs instead of
delivering (and shipping!) work arounds like that :-)

Granted. Just hate to reinstall my primary system once a week. And a sepetate data partition doesn't help as its the data which gets corrupted.

Cheers,
Rossi