[haiku-development] Re: Proposal: haiku-design mailing list

  • From: "Ithamar R. Adema" <ithamar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2014 09:50:20 +0200

Hi Sami,

Thanks for your well formulated mail. Please note that below is my personal
opinion, and not an official statement from the Haiku developers, but:

On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 9:17 AM, varjosanomat <varjosanomat@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I think the glass elevator mailing list is not such a bad idea if it helps
> to pool ideas and things to be used in the future maybe.
> I don’t know if I’m the only one thinking like this but I feel that
> haiku-development has a more immediate vibe (fixing stuff for the next
> alpha or something that can be reached in a reasonable timeframe with
> existing resources), so I’m very careful about stuff i’m writing here.

Yes, I think you are pretty on-the-spot with the description for
haiku-development, no offense taken ;) So far, the more pie-in-the-sky type
of discussions are usually done either in the forum, or on IRC, which has
worked quite well for the project so far. Of course, having another outlet
for discussion never hurts...

Also glass elevator would serve as a place for all the haiku ‘dissidents'
> to have a conversation and pool ideas without causing too much irritation
> for main devs. Even if nothing concrete comes out of the list, at least
> ideas can brew and grow and people who don’t feel too comfortable to post
> on haiku-dev thread can participate.

Discussion can help form an idea, say make it more concrete, and that is
always good, getting it "out of your head" and saying it "out loud" does
help often ;)

> In my team we have a box of dreams where we write stuff we’d like to have
> in the future. Our programmer hardly takes a look at that stuff. This has
> worked out well for us as the assumption is that there is no pressure for
> the coders to react to anything on that particular list. I personally
> wouldn’t mind if haiku devs completely ignored any conversation on glass
> elevator and any references to it. communicating this to participants of
> glass elevator would probably prevent many kinds of headache.

Exactly. In our case, once a "pie-in-the-sky" idea reaches some momentum,
and somebody e.g. creates a github.com fork of the haiku repo and starts
hacking on it, doing a prototype or so, it becomes more "current" and
concrete and I'm sure discussion would be welcomed on haiku-development,
and met with concrete, helpful support.

I guess the old but true open source software mantra "Patches welcome" is
still true ;)

Ithamar.