[haiku-development] Re: Proposal: adding no-check-names to resolv.conf by default

  • From: Julian Harnath <julian.harnath@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 20:04:06 +0200

"Alex-P. Natsios" <apnatsios@xxxxxxxxx> schrieb:
> Yes underscores in names are not supported according to RFC 952
> Not every idiocy out there should get standardized or de facto
> standardized.

Well if you look at e.g. [0] you can see there that not everyone agress
on that... that's what I meant when I said that it's disputed. It seems
to be a common interpretation that underscores are indeed forbidden in
hostnames, but not in domain names.

> Yes, those names do exist but are rare.

At least, various german public broadcasters use it for the URLs of
their media streams. If it doesn't become a default there should at
least be a simple (i.e. GUI-based) way to enable the feature.

[0]
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2180465/can-someone-have-a-subdomain-hostname-with-an-underscore-in-it

--
So long, jua