[haiku-development] Re: Problem generating Haiku VMWare image.

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 16:38:27 +0100

On 2008-03-26 at 15:20:30 [+0100], Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Bruno Albuquerque wrote:

> > > The network preferences have always shown the generic icon for me.
> > > Didn't try new revisions the last two weeks though.
> >
> > I am pretty sure you mean the generic application icon (the colored
> > blocks one). I am talking about the generic icon for anything. The one
> > that is mostly white ans associated with "generic file".
> >
> > Anyway, as an addendum to this, I ma compiling under Linux and with no
> > xattr support.
>
> I have not updated my copy of the build tools, only updated to the latest
> Haiku source. Building an image works fine for me with plain Ubuntu 7.10
> x86 (only packages installed needed for building according to our website).
> I know that I am using ext3, but don't know if I have xattr support.
> Building an image works fine for me, that's all I can add to the
> discussion. How can I check if I have xattr support?

There are command line tools for setting/getting attributes. You can just
try them on a file:

        touch tt
        setfattr -n "user.testAttr" -v "attribute value" tt
        getfattr -n "user.testAttr" tt

If they fail, you can check, whether your FS is mounted with xattrs enabled.
"mount" should list "user_xattr" as mount option for your FS. If it doesn't
you can try adding it in your /etc/fstab. After that it might still not
work, which probably means that the kernel has been compiled with that
feature disabled.

Not being a Linux expert, I don't really know what I'm talking about,
though. You might rather want to google a bit whether you find what's the
right way how to enable xattrs in Ubuntu. Probably even better would be to
switch to the Linux distribution with a saner default configuration -- I can
recommend OpenSuse, which also comes with a POSIX compliant /bin/sh, has tab
completion in ftp, and some other command line features that the Ubuntu
people failed to configure right. :-)

CU, Ingo