[haiku-development] Re: Preparing Alpha 1

  • From: Andreas Färber <andreas.faerber@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 20:02:58 +0200

Am 19.08.2008 um 18:53 schrieb François Revol:

- Give this alpha a name: Firefox has its "Deer Park", Flash Player
its
"Astro", BeOS R5.1 its "Dan0".
Maybe also write "alpha" or something alike on the wallpaper ?

I very much like the idea of XEmacs of doing so on their logo, in a
stamped way:
http://revolf.free.fr/beos/shots/shot_xemacs_beos.001.png

Or how I tried to do on that fake cd cover art:
http://revolf.free.fr/z/test_gp_haiku_cd.png

Fwiw I don't. ;-)

I don't think we need a wallpaper with an ugly Alpha notice. Haiku should be appealing to people, not annoying them with too much "Alpha" notices. I'd be okay with a message box on first boot and a permanent notice in AboutSystem and some menu items and/or desktop links/files.

Other systems sometimes use different wallpapers so that by colours of some variation you can see what version it likely is. For instance, Fedora 9 codenamed Sulphur has yellow sulphor on the wallpaper while Fedora 7 or 8 has balloons instead. Unfortunately "Walter" is not as elegant to depict! Windows betas have the version/build number in the lower right corner as text on top of the desktop background, not too nice.
What about changing the colour of the Deskbar feather for the Alpha?

Concerning the original topic, I'd advice against a "support" email address. It's an Alpha with no support in the sense of Commercial Support and I doubt the Web team wants to answer tons of "x is not working on my box" mails. Better direct people to the existing channels where they can get timely community assistance (IRC, mailing lists, Trac).

Andreas