[haiku-development] Re: PowerPC Development

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 22:27:56 +0100

Hi Michael,

On 14.02.2012 06:42, Michael Manley wrote:
I was wondering the status of the PowerPC port of Haiku. As I have a lot
of PowerPC Related hardware (iMac G4, PowerBook G3 and G4), I am willing
to develop on the PowerPC port. I do have knowledge of the PPC
Architecture and will possibly help on anything needed to make this
version bootable on the hardware I do have.

That would be great! The PPC port has long been neglected, so I'm not really sure the state it is in now. A while back, it was at a point to being able to boot into the kernel (via disk or network boot), and then panic (on screen) due to not being able to find a boot device.

IIRC the next step would have been to implement an interrupt controller driver (and maybe infrastructure, because this is built-in for x86), and then port the drivers needed to get to the next step. Which would have been implementing userland support.

Now, however, you might need to put in some effort to get the boot loader and/or kernel to work again, I don't know. Testing it would surely get you a better idea. I think the last one that did so, and might have some additional insight on the current state is Alexander a.k.a. kallisti5.

Bye,
   Axel.