[haiku-development] Pitching Media Kit ideas

  • From: Christopher Humphries <redeye4@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 12:39:03 +0200

Howdy all,

I have little idea of how many of you were enthusiastic about the addition
of DVD support to Haiku, but like me, many of you probably though that
streaming was a worthier goal. Unfortunately, due to a drastic reduction in
my free time, David and I decided to restrict my goals to the DVD support.

My progress has been lacking, and we came up against quite a few annoying
problems, the final fatal one being the faulty MPEG  video decoding, which
pretty much killed off my hopes. However during the past weeks of working
with and within media code, I have gained a personal opinion on the kit,
along with a few ideas I wouldn't mind pitching.

The media kit is pretty awesome when it comes to playing files, you can feed
a BRef to a BMediaFile, which finds the right decoders and is relatively
easily "plugged" into a media node. However, when it comes to playing
something streamed or a physical input, things get complicated, and it seems
to me that when people think of what they want for future Haiku releases,
media improvements don’t get the attention they deserve.

I'll be explaining these ideas in separate emails to avoid confusion, but
basically:

   1. A true streaming equivalent of BDataIO
   2. Alternatives to plug-in sniffing
   3. Extra flavours for the BMediaFile
   4. Standard media nodes for general use
   5. Thoughts about FFmpeg

I hope I don’t annoy anyone, I just want awareness and discussion :-)

--
Cheers,
Christopher