[haiku-development] Partitioning support in Alpha/1

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 13:15:00 +0100

Hi there,

what is the opinion on the partitioning support in Alpha/1? I see these
situations:

1) You already happen to have a partition which you can use for installing
Haiku on.

2) You happen to have an empty region on your harddrive, which you can
create a partition in.

3) You need to make some room. This usually involves shrinking other
partitions or buying another harddrive (which puts you into 1) or 2)).

For 1) we already implement what is needed.

2) is probably not that common.

I consider 3) the most common scenario for when you want to install Haiku
on your harddrive. In order to enable this use-case in DriveSetup, a huge
amount of work needs to be done. We would need to implement resizing
support for a number of popular filesystems including NTFS and EXT2/3. I
think this is totally unrealistic for the time being, since we would also
need to be confident into the reliability of our implementation.

IMHO, as a solution, we should recommend using a nother partitioner
(GParted has a live CD for example) for creating a partition that one can
later initialize with DriveSetup during installation.

Then all the tickets regarding missing partitioning features could be moved
out of the alpha milestone. What do others think?

Best regards,
-Stephan