[haiku-development] Re: Package Management: Merge Imminent

  • From: Joseph Prostko <joe.prostko@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 11:30:39 -0400

On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 11:20 AM, Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Joseph!

Hello!

> 2013/9/12, Joseph Prostko <joe.prostko@xxxxxxxxx>:
>> On Sat, Sep 7, 2013 at 8:43 PM, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
>> Are you and Oliver still on target to get the merge done before BG?  I
>> only ask since I would ideally like to have my Haiku machines imaged
>> with the merged code in time for the Ohio Linuxfest.  Worst case I'll
>> just set up a couple of partitions; one having package management, and
>> one without,
>
> Regardless if the merge will come in time, I'd suggest to have a
> proven-to-be-working-not-bleeding-edge installation on one partition
> anyway. Trying to demo on an unfamiliar and not too well tested
> revision begs for awkward moments... :)

Don't worry, I generally have four BFS partitions on each computer,
with at least three of them running Haiku.  One partition on each
machine will certainly be running R1A4.1, and the other two will
probably be running a build with PM, if possible.

I remember this saved me the one year, as I had some BFS corruption
happen, and ultimately had to reboot into another partition.  It was
definitely a good idea to have some backup partitions, that's for
sure.

- joe