[haiku-development] Re: POSIX

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2009 14:10:31 +0200

On 2009-06-07 at 14:29:49 [+0200], Brecht Machiels <brecht@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> I noticed that time.h (and the underlying implementation, I assume) is
> missing some things: clock_gettime, amongst others. I take it these are
> on the to do list?

Not on any concrete list, but yes, a lot of API would be on it. :-)

> In general, what is the general view on POSIX compatibility? Should
> Haiku eventually be 100% compliant, or will it only implement part of
> the spec? If so, is this part defined somewhere?

I don't think Haiku will ever be 100% compliant, but we do strife to
improve it as much as possible (and reasonable).

> Would it make sense to add a POSIX component on trac, and perhaps add a
> milestone?

I think adding a milestone or a component (not sure about both) is a good
idea. It would also be nice to organize tickets in a reasonable way. That
is I would like to avoid individual tickets for random missing POSIX
functions. I'd rather see that organized a bit, like a ticket per POSIX
header listing all the missing/non-compliant stuff and, where it makes
sense, sub-tickets for groups of functionality exported by that header.

The disadvantage of a milestone would be, that we can't assign a certain
POSIX feature to an actual milestone like R1 -- or would have to create an
additional ticket (which would be OK). The disadvantage of a component
would be, that the tickets wouldn't be assigned to the actually concerned
component. Though in pretty much all cases that would be only libroot or
kernel, anyway. So either option seems OK. I'm undecided. :-)

CU, Ingo