[haiku-development] Re: Next release discussion

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 16:02:49 +0100

On 01/11/2014 12:32 AM, scottmc wrote:
Picking up from where we agreed to wait a bit longer, Google Code-In is
now over, and there's been several more weeks of coding contracts,
perhaps it's time to revisit the next release discussion.  We still need
to identify which open R1-Beta1 tickets are really blockers, and see if
those can be addressed in the short term or pushed out.  And based on
those findings I think we'll then be able to decide on whether it'll be
Alpha5 or Beta1.

From the PM perspective I think the following points have a high priority:

* Support for system upgrades. While not strictly critical I think this is a major convenience feature. I also think it is a relatively low hanging fruit.

* Reorganize the HaikuPorts process and infrastructure. ATM there is anarchy. Everyone dumps their recipe changes in the master branch. There's no well-defined, coherent state from which the packages for the package repositories (as defined in the Haiku source repository) can be built and incompatibilities between packages built from different repository states are guaranteed to crop up eventually. Oliver already proposed an approach to solve the issue [1]. IMO, before it has been implemented, we shouldn't do a release.

CU, Ingo

[1] http://lists.ports.haiku-files.org/pipermail/haikuports-devs-ports.haiku-files.org/2013-October/001696.html