[haiku-development] Re: New Contracts

  • From: "SMC.Collins" <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 22:36:43 +0000 (UTC)

----- Original Message -----
From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Mon, 27 May 2013 21:57:46 -0000 (UTC)
Subject: [haiku-development] Re: New Contracts

On 05/27/2013 08:18 PM, SMC.Collins wrote:
> Congratulations on the contracts, will these see Package management to
> completion. I am willing to set up a $50 monthly donation to help fund
> this, but I don't want to throw money into a feature that will not be
> completed.
>
> If you asking for a commitment from us, we need a commitment from you.
>
> Will this see the package manager to completion ?

What I can say with some confidence is that we should be able to merge
the package management branch back into the master within the next
months, hopefully even a while before the end of our contracts. At that
time the feature will not have been completed. We will have addressed
the items listed in the news article. PM support will have been fully
integrated into the build system, so that Haiku developers won't be
disrupted. The tools for building packages will be complete, so that
HaikuPorts developers can dig right in. Haiku itself will run as well as
before (well, modulo missed bugs/issues) and it will include a basic,
but fully functional command line package manager.

At that time there will not be a GUI package manager application yet and
other bells and whistle with lower priority will still be missing (e.g.
application bundle support). Depending on how much time we will have
left, we will work on the missing parts. Maybe other developers will
join in as well -- e.g. there had been quite a bit of interest in the
GUI package manager application in the past.

I'm afraid that's the best I can answer your question ATM. Estimating
effort/time is really non-trivial. We could invest several days in
specifying an exact feature set and analyzing the tasks to be done, but
I don't think this would be time well spent -- as we will have to do the
tasks anyway -- and it probably wouldn't even help answer your question,
since I suppose the resulting estimate would be a range from a best case
well within to a worst case well outside the three months.

Whatever time it will take in the end, fact is, that the more time we
will have the farther we'll get. Should we finish PM and still have time
left, there are plenty of other areas that need work and that I would be
happy to work in. I wouldn't mind continuing my contract until we get R1
out of the door.

At any rate: Thanks for your support!

CU, Ingo

Fair enough, as far as a fancy gui, I don't care, so long as the nuts and bolts
of the thing work, putting on the chrome and shine can wait for those with
talent in such areas. Thank you for the reply.

I'll be off to solicit donations and get my obligation going.

Sean