[haiku-development] N10 graphics controller

  • From: Sean Healy <jalopeura@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 13:43:35 +0100

I started a thread on the main list about my video problems in case it turned out to be a simple problem, but things seem to have progressed to the point where the development list is more appropriate.

I've been trying to gather information to put into a ticket for this problem. Here is part of the thread:

On 10/22/2011 06:26 PM, luroh wrote:
Sean Healy wrote:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation N10 Family
Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:a011]

The one on my old laptop (which works fine) is:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME Express Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:27ae] (rev 03)

Looking at the commit history, support for this device was added by
brecht in r40319, but I am unable to find any evidence of it ever
being tested or working under Haiku. You may want to file a bug in
Trac.

I found that if I grep on 'controller' and not on 'VGA', I get two results on my new laptop:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation N10 Family Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:a011] 00:02.1 Display controller [0380]: Intel Corporation N10 Family Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:a012]

I don't know if the second controller is part of the problem or not.

By checking the boot log, I was able to see that near the end of the log, 'intel_extreme: uninit()' and 'intel_extreme: close()' are called. I would expect functions with those names to be called during shutdown, not at the end of startup. So either these two function calls are part of the problem, and I need guidance on what to look for next, or else someone with a different sense for function naming wrote the driver API (and I still need guidance on what to look for next).

I used the built-in log viewer to find this information. Is there any way to copy the in-memory buffer that holds the boot log onto a file? Can I dd it from a device? If so, which device and from what offset?

The log is huge and I don't want to copy the whole thing down by hand, but I don't know what parts are relevant to my problem. For example, the are lines starting 'AGP:' mixed among lines starting 'intel_extreme:', but I don't know what (if any) relation there is between them.