[haiku-development] Re: Jam Memory Usage

  • From: "Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 14:53:20 -0400

On 8/19/07, Niels Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm looking at the build wizard (Ingo?) to see if there is anything
> that can be fixed in jam or be worked around by me.

The problem is, by its nature, Jam puts all targets and dependencies
into memory to make sure all dependencies are properly resolved. There
might be a solution, but it may not be easy.

I just checked and on my Linux box Jam uses over 160 MB of RAM when
building the Haiku VMware image. Wow, I have to admit that is pretty
crazy. It seems about 153 MB of that is used just when Jam is parsing
all the Jamfiles, with small increases as the build proceeds. Then I
see GCC needing another 5-10 MB when compiling (though I turned on the
-pipe option.) I would expect 256 MB would be the bare minimum you
would need to build Haiku, and that may be pushing it. I'm starting to
appreciate more this new Dell box, which seems to have plenty of RAM
with 1 GB and a Core 2 Duo which flies through the build.

I guess we will see what Ingo has to say. It seems he, Axel and
several of the other devs are on vacation this weekend. Or they are
being really quiet, as I haven't seem commits or emails from them ;)

Ryan